The Minnesota Department of Transportation issued an email update on the Minnesota Highway 23 North Gap Project to include the following pieces of information.
District 8 - Highway 23 North/South Gap New London to Richmond: 2022-2024 Construction
Highway 23 Reopens Thursday, November 3rd
The main Highway 23 Paynesville to Richmond detour will be removed and traffic returned to Highway 23 through the winter. The roadway is paved, signed, striped, and configured for two-lane head-to-head traffic. Traffic will be using both old and new pavement.
2022 Where We're At On The Project
- One mile of the Glacial Lakes State Trail near Richmond was reconstructed.
- The box culvert at County Road 43 was installed.
- Access points at the County Road 12, County Road 43, County Road 114, and 263rd Avenue were realigned/improved.
- The highway curvature near Roscoe was realigned.
- Infiltration ponds were completed.
- 80% of drainage work was completed.
- 80% of grade was built for remainder of four-lane work.
- Side road connections were completed.
- The four-lane section from the river in Richmond to County Road 12 was completed.
2023 Final Year of Construction
- The main Hwy 23 Paynesville to Richmond detour will start up again once road restrictions are lifted in the spring to complete the final year of construction. The detour will approximately run from April to November 2023.
- Watch for furture messages for start dates.
- A brief detour of County Road 12/Maine Street will take place during construction, date to be determined.
- Work will focus on replacing two box culverts and completing the majority of eastbound alignment.